Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Very Cliche Entry


Two weeks of sloth. That's why I haven't entered a new entry since mid-December. Okay, so it hasn't been sloth but after a busy Christmas and prioritizing vacation time with family (including sis, mom, and dad) I'm back in the swing of things.
I'll be cliche and talk resolutions. How are yours coming? Do you have any. It's a big year for New Year resolutions, the new decade and all.
Easy resolutions for me? More coffee, more ice cream, watch more tv. I've done very well with those.
Tough resolutions? Keep a budget, run everyday, wake up earlier. (Did you know in the PNW, sunrise is like at 8 something and sunset at 4 something. Your body says it's early. The alarm clock says 7:15 - yikes, get up!)
I've run 6 days in a row and I'm guessing this streak won't last. If it doesn't, no worries. At least I'll try to work off as much of that ice cream as possible. There are people highlighted in Runner's World every so often who talk about running everyday for years. Wow, once a week often seems like an accomplishment - with 4 hours of dishes, laundry, vacuuming, cooking, and cleaning each day.
My take on resolutions? I like 'em mostly. It seems like we're just trying to be the best people we possibly can be! Or in biblical terms, "honoring our body as a temple of God" Though I typically set resolutions and eventually succumb to busyness or lazyness, I have to remind myself that there's only so much I can do by myself.
If you're not a person who follows Christ intentionally and passionately everyday, let me try to explain what the Bible communicates. Christians believe that though we are held to a high standard and can "do all things through Christ's strength", we also acknowledge that we battle sin and "spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" (if this is confusing to you, it may take a bit of study to further comprehend). Anyway, the gist is not quite "the devil made me do it" or "I couldn't help it", but more like it's very difficult to live the way we want to all the time. So yeah, we are hypocrites - not always doing what we say. We believe it is necessary to allow God to do a lot of the driving (you know, like that country song?).
I guess in summary, may your resolutions be successful, but don't take it too hard if you don't fully live up to those goals. Of course, if your resolutions include things like "evade your taxes" or "annoy your neighbors," then that's a different conversation.

No comments: